Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa

British citizens can apply for a range of visas such as the Non-lucrative Residence visa, in order to obtain Spanish residency.

British individuals who seek to obtain legal residency in Spain will have to go through a new process. The Legal Regime for Foreigners now applies due to Brexit. 

Non-EU citizens who desire to stay in Spain for longer than six months without working or engaging in any professional activity can apply for a Non-lucrative Residence visa. 

British expats who have already been residing in Spain before 1 January 2021 and hold a TIE Card are exempt from this visa because the Withdrawal Agreement grants them unfettered movement and residency.

There are many requirements and restrictions in travelling to Spain on this visa. Woodcock Law can help you apply for a Non-lucrative Residence visa and ensure that you meet the strict requirements.

An image of the Spanish flag to show that this article is about the Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa

How long can I stay in Spain on the Non-lucrative Residence visa?

The Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa provides temporary residency, allowing holders to stay in Spain for up to a year from the date of admission. 

Holders of the Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa have the opportunity to renew it after this period has expired; each renewal will last up to two years. After the third renewal (5 years), the holder of this visa will be granted permanent or long-term residency.

What is the application process?

The Non-lucrative Resident visa application must be submitted to the nearest Spanish Consulate General in the United Kingdom. 

The application must be submitted in person. A parent, guardian, or duly recognised representative can submit an application on behalf of a minor (the latter is only approved in extreme cases).

Am I eligible?

You must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a UK residence permit
  • Passport valid for at least one year 
  • No criminal record in either country
  • Sufficient economic means to support you during the duration of your stay. 
An image of Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain

What documents are required to apply for the Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa?

  1. Completed national visa form and EX01 form 
  2. Valid passport or travel document
  3. Proof of payment for the visa application process
  4. Certificate proving no criminal record – duly legalised or apostilled
  5. Public or private health insurance
  6. Medical certificate 
  7. Completed Form 720-052 with fee payment, for initial temporary residence authorisation
  8. Proof of sufficient funds for one year. 

What activities am I permitted to do on a Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa?

You may:

  • Work remotely from Spain for any client or company located anywhere in the world.
  • Include your spouse and any family members when applying for a family or joint visa.
  • Invest in a rental property if you have the financial means.
  • Have complete freedom of movement within the Schengen Area.

How long does it take to receive a decision?

It usually takes up to one month to receive a decision about your application, although this may vary.

Please note, if you do not receive any notification regarding your application after one month, it may have been rejected.

Contact us for our expert advice

There are many requirements to be met to satisfy the visa and immigration conditions. 

Woodcock Law is well placed and highly experienced in providing advice and assistance on making a Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa application. 

We appreciate that many of the requirements may seem overly complex and onerous, but we can assist you in your application.

We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7712 1590 for our expert advice on such an application before any action is taken.


Spanish Non-lucrative Residence visa

Yes. You will have to attend a compulsory interview at the consulate office as a part of your application process. 

A Spanish Foreigner Identity Card is a document that verifies a foreigner’s legal status in Spain. It is given to foreigners who have been granted permission to reside in Spain for more than six months.

The card is known as tarjeta de identidad de extranjero in Spanish (TIE). It includes your name and surname, as well as the validity term and a unique number known as the Foreigner Identity Number.

Read here for further information from the Spanish government. 

Holders have one month from the date of admission to apply for their Foreigners’ Identity Card (TIE) at the Foreigners’ Office. Registration at the town hall – that corresponds with the municipality where they are residing in Spain – must also be completed within this time frame.

Non-lucrative Resident visa holders must enter Spain within three months of their visa being granted.

All official documents must be  legalised through your consulate representative, or with the Hague Apostille. Woodcock Notary Public can assist you with this, with same day appointments usually available. 


Woodcock Law & Notary Public is the combined trading name of Woodcock Law Limited (Co. No: 12080697) and Woodcock Notary Public Limited (Co. No: 12085976). Woodcock Law Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (registration number 664924). Woodcock Notary Public Limited is regulated through the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury for work undertaken by Mr Nathan Woodcock as a Notary Public. Woodcock Law Limited is a member of Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association. (Membership Number: 7980).

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Designed by Woodcock Marketing | Copyright 2022 | Woodcock Law & Notary Public | All Rights Reserved