We can assist individuals who do not qualify for a US Social Security Number but who still require a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to file 1040NR (non-resident) tax returns.
Our service facilitates the application process by reviewing the necessary documents, authenticating our client’s identity, and sending the completed application to IRS. We provide a certified copy of the acceptable ID documents and issue a W-7 Certificate of Accuracy (COA) to the IRS in support of valid applications for those who are eligible.
Woodcock Notary Public can certify and complete a Certificate of Accuracy to authenticate foreign identity documents for you. This means that you do not need to send your original identity documents to the IRS in the USA.
How can a Certifying Acceptance Agent help you?
We are authorised to conduct the following:
- Complete the IRS Form W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Provide a certified copy of acceptable ID documents – the IRS no longer accepts notarised copies of such documents. Originals are still accepted where applicable.
- Review the required supporting documentation as required for submission
- Issue a Certificate of Accuracy to the IRS, showing that the ITIN number application is complete, accurate and that the documentation provided to us for review is authentic.
- Submit the application to the IRS ITIN Operations office for processing
- Receive the ITIN number from the IRS and provide a copy to the foreign individual.
- Offer expedited ITIN number application services by communicating directly with the ITIN office by phone.
Benefits of using our services:
- Using a CAA means that you do not need to submit original documents to the IRS to process your ITIN number application (which can take 7 to 11 weeks for non-US-based individuals). This eliminates the risk of losing important original documents in transit.
- We offer a mobile appointment service for your convenience. We can meet you at home, your office or another location suitable to you.
- We can also hold video meetings to observe the documents to be certified. However, per our licence agreement with IRS, we need to see the originals which can be posted or couriered to us. All documents will be mailed back via Royal Mail Special Delivery (secure next day return Mondays through Saturdays).
- We can also assist international clients not based in the UK.
Who can use our services?
We can assist many clients including:
- UK corporates and businesses
- International corporate organisations
- Certified public accountants
- Enrolled agents
An ITIN is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS that assists foreign taxpayers in filing a tax return. This includes resident and nonresident aliens, their spouses, and their dependents, who can apply for an ITIN if they are not eligible for a social security number.
Unlike many other forms of identification, an ITIN is solely used for tax purposes.
International taxpayers in the US are categorised by the IRS as a “nonresident aliens”. An alien is any individual who is not a US citizen or US national.
The main reasons for applying for an ITIN include the following:
- You need to file a US tax return (e.g. Form 1040 or 1040-NR)
- You are considered to have engaged in a trade or business in the US, and have received US-sourced income
- You are a Non-Resident Spouse or Dependent of a US Citizen or Resident
- You are making a claim for a US tax refund (e.g. reclaiming US taxes withheld on dividends or royalties)
- You have a US Bank or Investment account
- You have sold (or intend to sell) US Real Estate (please also note that we can assist with the notarisation of affidavits and warranty deeds of the transfer of US Real Estate and can provide a bespoke service to cover all aspects of your circumstances)
The process can be summarised as follows:
- If you are applying for an ITIN to file a tax return, you must attach your original, completed return to Form W-7.
- After the W-7 has been processed by the IRS, your return will be assigned an ITIN, and will then be processed.
- If you are outside of the US, it takes 9-11 weeks for the IRS to notify you in writing of your ITIN.
Why choose Woodcock Notary Public Limited as your Certifying Acceptance Agent?
We are one of a very small number of providers offering this service and can take your circumstances into consideration. We understand that life has its challenges and seek to support our clients in any way we can.
Please contact us for more information online or call us on 020 7712 1590 (London) or 0800 049 2471 (outside of London).