The UK Marriage Visa allows you to come to the UK and either get married or give notice of your intention to get married.
The documents you will need to apply for the Marriage Visa are as follows:
- You need proof you have paid for some of the wedding already
- Proof you are getting married in the UK within the 6 months your visa is valid
- Proof of financial means to show you can support yourself while in the UK
- A valid passport
- If you have been married before – a death or divorce certificate
Any documents that are not in English or Welsh need to be translated by a sworn translator.
It is recommended that you get all documents ready before you start your visa application.
Do I need a visa to get married in the UK?
You do not need a Marriage Visa if at least one of the following is correct:
- You are settled under the EU Settlement Scheme or are still awaiting a decision
- You are Irish
If you are an international citizen who does not live in the UK, you must apply for a Marriage Visa.
Please note – you can apply for a Standard Visitor Visa if you are converting your civil partnership into a marriage.
Giving notice of marriage
You must give notice at your local registry office at least 29 days before your ceremony that you and your partner intend to marry.
Similarly, you must have been staying or living in that area for at least 7 days before you can apply to give notice.
You must hold your ceremony within 12 months of giving notice.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Set a date for your UK wedding. Make sure you keep proof of venue booking and payment.
- Start to collate the documents required for the visa application (this is where we can help).
- As soon as it is 6 months before your wedding date, submit your visa application. It will take around 3 weeks for this to be approved.
- Once your visa is approved you must travel to the UK for 8 days to give notice that you intend to marry.
- This notice needs to be displayed for at least 29 days before you marry
- You should leave the UK between giving notice and returning for your wedding. This visa does not allow you to stay in the UK for extended periods.
- You return to the UK for your wedding.
To reduce stress and allow for any delays or issues out of your control, we strongly recommend that you apply for your UK Marriage Visa with plenty of time to spare.
The Marriage Visa takes around 3 weeks to get approved so make sure to leave enough time for this.
Then you must travel and give notice in the UK for 8 days, leave the UK for at least 29 days while the notice is given, and finally return to the UK for your wedding date.
Ready for assistance?
If you have any questions about the changes or want legal advice, contact
Woodcock Law & Notary Public today. Contact us by phone on 0330 133 6490 or
by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.