All Blog Videos Webinars
6 March 2024

A helpful guide to the Overseas Domestic Worker Visa in 2024

The Overseas Domestic Worker Visa allows you to come to the UK and work in specific roles. Learn more about it in our guide.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
A personal chef working in their employer's kitchen on an Overseas Domestic Worker Visa.

While not the most popular worker visa route, the Overseas Domestic Worker Visa allows people to come and work for their employer in the UK.

The Overseas Domestic Worker Visa may also be known as the ‘Domestic Helper Visa’. 

Generally, it is a route used by those who are domestic staff in a private household.

In this guide, we will explain what roles result in you counting as a domestic worker, as well as how you can apply for a visa.

Who can apply for the Overseas Domestic Worker Visa?

As previously stated, you just need to work in a private household to be eligible for this visa.

Some of the jobs people applying for this visa are likely to have are:

  • Cleaner
  • Cook
  • Nanny
  • Gardener
  • Housekeeper
  • Chauffeur 
  • Other personal carers

The documents you will need to submit with your application

To support your application, you will need to provide a number of documents. 

These are: 

  • Your current passport
  • Proof you can support yourself; for example, bank statements or a payslip
  • A letter provided by your employer that confirm your job title, length of employment, and that you are a permanent employee
  • A complete ‘appendix domestic worker statement’ signed by you and your employer

Additionally, you must provide one of the following documents in reference to your employment:

  • Proof of payment of salary; for example, pay slips or bank statements
  • Contract of employment
  • Confirmation of tax paid
  • Confirmation of health insurance paid
  • Work visa, residence permit, or equivalent passport endorsement for the country that you are currently employed in
  • Visas or passport endorsement if you have travelled with your employer in the past

Requirements to apply for the Domestic Worker Visa

As well as working in a domestic role in a private household, you will have to meet other requirements. These are:

  • Be 19 or older
  • Live outside the UK
  • Worked for your employer for a year or more
  • Intend to work full-time in the UK household your employer will be staying in
  • Plan to come to the UK with your employer, their partner, or their children
  • Plan to leave the UK after six months
  • Can support yourself without needing public funds
  • Earn at least minimum wage from your employer

Your employer must also meet certain criteria. 

  • They must be a British citizen who normally lives outside of the UK, and does not intend on staying in the UK for more than six months
  • Alternatively, they must be a foreign citizen who is visiting the UK; they cannot stay for more than six months.

Fees and how long it will take to be granted

To get an Overseas Domestic Worker Visa, you will have to pay a fee of £637. 

You can apply up to three months before you plan on travelling; however it takes three weeks to process the application.

You can pay an extra fee for your application to be processed within just five working days instead.

Please note that processing times can vary if the Home Office is experiencing a high volume of visa applications.

Can I bring dependants?

No, you cannot bring dependants on the Overseas Domestic Worker Visa. 

This visa does not last long enough for the option to bring your dependants with you to be viable. 

How we can help

Our team of immigration experts have helped countless clients with their immigration needs, and they can help you too. 

Arrange a free 10-minute consultation to see if we can help you. After that, you can book a longer paid consultation that lasts either 30 minutes, or an hour. 

The team member you initially talk to will act as your caseworker, and will be there to answer any questions you may have. 

Get in touch with us today to see how we can help you. 

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.