Service Supplier Visa

The Service Supplier Visa is for contractual service suppliers and self-employed independent professionals based overseas. 

Home > UK Visas > Worker Visas > Service Supplier Visa

A quick look

You can stay for 14 days after the time given on the Certificate of Sponsorship. 

Yes, and the sponsor needs to be registered to do so by the UK Home Office.

You are allowed to:

  • Work for a sponsoring organisation in the job described in your Certificate of Sponsorship
  • Study
  • Bring your partner and/or children with you, if eligible
  • Do voluntary work
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK

You are not allowed to:

  • Apply for most public funds/benefits, including State Pension
  • Change jobs until you update your visa
  • Apply for permanent settlement in the UK
  • Do a second job

Service Supplier Visa

The Service Supplier Visa is for contractual service suppliers and self-employed independent professionals based overseas. This route replaced certain provisions in the Temporary Work – International Agreement route.


Applicants for the Service Supplier Visa will need to:

  • Be currently working for an overseas service provider that will provide services to their UK sponsor
  • Have worked for the provider outside the UK for a total of 12 months.
  • Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the job they are planning to do, issued by an authorised employer

Their UK sponsor must also have a contract with an overseas service provider, which has been registered with the Home Office.

The job the applicant plans to only needs to reach a minimum skill level. Applicants will not need to satisfy a salary requirement, nor need to satisfy an English language requirement. They will, however, need to satisfy a nationality requirement.

Certificate of Sponsorship

A Certificate of Sponsorship is a reference number that holds information on the job and your own personal details. It is not an actual certificate or paper document, it is a number that corresponds to the job you have been offered. 

As well as the reference number, your sponsor will also give you information to help you to apply for the visa, for example how much you will be paid. This helps to prove you meet the job and salary requirements for the visa. 

How long can I stay in the UK?

Successful applicants will be allowed to stay in the UK until either:

  • 14 days after the time given on the Certificate of Sponsorship
  • The maximum time period allowed in the category (5 years in any 6 year period) 
  • The maximum single assignment period (either 6 or 12 months if covered by a relevant UK international trade commitment), whichever is shorter

Holders of the visa will be allowed to work for their sponsor in the job detailed on their Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). 

How much does a Service Supplier Visa cost?

When you apply for the visa, you will need to pay the application fee, which is £298. You will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge, which is currently £1,035 per year.

You will also need to have enough money to support yourself when you arrive in the UK. This is usually at least £1,270, which will need to be in your bank account for 28 continuous days, and within 31 days of your application. 

However, there are some situations where you will be exempt from providing proof of funds to support yourself. For example, if you have already been in the UK for 12 months on another visa, or if your sponsor has said they will cover your costs for your first month. 

You will be told how much you need to pay when you apply.

More UK Visa Routes

Select Visa Category

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. While Woodcock Law Limited makes every effort to keep this information current, prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.