Further Leave to Remain

Read all the important information you should know about Further Leave to Remain.

Home > UK Visas > Extension and Settlement Visas > Further Leave to Remain (FLR) 

A quick look

The length of time you can stay in the UK depends on the type of FLR you secure. You can see the different types below. 

No, you do not need a Sponsor Licence for this.

Yes, you can work in the UK.

Further Leave to Remain (FLR) 

Further Leave to Remain allows those granted it, to stay in the UK for longer than their original visa allowed. It typically involves extending your current visa to enable you to continue your stay in the UK, although in some cases it will involve switching your visa.

The application can be found on the Government’s website.


The application to extend your visa can only be made if you are already in the UK and looking to extend an expiring visa. In some cases – such as those in which your circumstances have changed – you will need to switch to a different visa.

There are several types of Further Leave to Remain applications. They each depend on the reasons for which you want to extend your stay. The types of application can be seen below: 

  • FLR (M) – used to extend your stay as a partner or dependent child
  • FLR (FP) – used to extend your stay on the basis of your family life as a partner
  • FLR (HRO) – used to extend your stay for human rights claims
  • FLR (LR) – used to extend your stay if you have lived in the UK for 10 years or more
  • FLR (IR) – used to extend your for other routes under immigration rules
  • FLR (AF) – used to extend your stay as a discharged member of HM armed forces
  • FLR (DL) – used to extend your stay as a person who was refused asylum but has been given a different type of permission to stay in the UK
  • FLR (S) – used to extend your stay as a stateless person
  • FLR (P) – used to extend your stay as a child under 18 of relative with temporary permission to stay as refugee

How much does it cost?

The cost of an application varies depending on the type of application you make. Some are free while others have a fee. 

Many application types also require you to meet minimum income requirements and, if this is the case, details of your finances must be made available as part of your application. 

Contact us to find out more about the costs involved with the type of FLR you want.

The English language requirement

Several of the applications will require you to demonstrate a good knowledge of the English language. This is not the case for all FLR applications, and those that do require a good level of English can be satisfied with your competency if you come from an English speaking country. 

You can also satisfy the requirement by either having an academic qualification that was taught in English or by having passed an approved English language test in speaking and listening.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. While Woodcock Law Limited makes every effort to keep this information current, prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on www.gov.uk.

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email info@woodcocklaw.co.uk.

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.