Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme Visa is for young adults from certain countries to live and work in the UK for 2 years.

Home > UK Visas > Youth, Student and Graduate Visas > Youth Mobility Scheme

A quick look

The visa allows you to live in the UK for up to 24 months.

No, this visa does not need to be accompanied by a Sponsor Licence.

You are allowed to:

  • Study (an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate may be required for some courses)
  • Work in most jobs
  • Be self-employed and set up a company – as long as you premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees
  • Work as a student union sabbatical officer
  • Work in other capacities, depending on what you are studying and whether the work is in or out of term-time

You are not allowed to:

  • Work as a professional sportsperson or coach
  • Extend your stay
  • Apply for most public funds/benefits, including State Pension
  • Bring family member on your application – they must apply separately

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme Visa is for young adults from certain countries to live and work in the UK for two years.


You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa if you are aged between 18 and 30 and you are from one of the below countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • Iceland

From 29 June 2023, New Zealand nationals will be eligible to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme up to the age of 35 and can stay in the UK for up to 3 years.

If you are from any of the below countries, then you must be selected in the Youth Mobility Scheme ballot before you can apply. 

  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan

You must also have at least £2,530 to support yourself whilst you are in the UK.  This money must have been accessible to you for at least 28 days in a row. 

How long can you stay?

You will be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.

You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.

How much does it cost?

As well as the application fee, which is £298, and the aforementioned savings to support yourself which is listed above, you will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge. This is £776 per year that you are in the UK. 

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. While Woodcock Law Limited makes every effort to keep this information current, prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.