Home > UK Visas > Commonwealth & BNO > Ancestry Visa
A quick look
The UK Ancestry Visa allows you to live in the UK for up to 24 months.
You are allowed to:
- Bring your partner and/or children with you, if eligible
Your work can be:
- Paid or voluntary
- Full-time or part-time
- Self-employed or employed by someone else
You are not allowed to:
- Switch into this visa if you came to the UK on a different visa
- Get public funds
UK Ancestry Visa
The UK Ancestry Visa is a popular immigration route. It is available to Commonwealth citizens who have at least one grandparent in the UK, and intend to work.
There are several requirements for this visa. To be eligible, you must be:
- A Commonwealth citizen
- Able to provide proof that one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (the grandparent can be a biological grandparent, or a grandparent by adoption)
- Able and planning to work in the UK
- Over 17 years old
- Able to show proof of funds to support yourself without relying on public funds in the UK
Additionally, you will need to show that your relevant grandparent was either:
- Born in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
- Born before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland
- Born on a British-registered ship or aircraft
You can claim ancestry if you, or your relevant parent, were adopted. UK ancestry cannot, however, be claimed through step-parents.
How long can I stay?
The UK Ancestry Visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to five years, after which you have the option of applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain and Naturalisation.
How much does a UK Ancestry Visa cost?
The fee to apply for entry clearance with a UK Ancestry Visa is £516. In addition to the visa application fee, you will also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your application to allow you to use the National Health Service once living in the UK. The IHS will be calculated on the basis of how much leave is granted, typically at a rate of £624 per year.
Ready for assistance?
If you have any questions about the changes or want legal advice, contact
Woodcock Law & Notary Public today. Contact us by phone on 0330 133 6490 or
by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.