For the purposes of this visa, a “partner” is recognised as one of the following.

  • Civil partner
  • Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner or
  • A person who has been living together with the applicant in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application.

Eligibility Criteria

  • To qualify for the Partner Visa, the applicant and their partner must both be over 18.
  • The partner must be a British citizen, have UK settled status, proof of permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain or have refugee status or humanitarian protection within the UK.
  • You must either be in a UK-recognised civil partnership or marriage or have cohabitated for at least two years.
  • You must prove that you can financially support yourself and any dependents.
  • You must have a good knowledge of English either through being a national of a majority English speaking country, an academic qualification or through taking an approved English language test. 


You can work and study in the UK


You cannot claim public funds

Length of stay

The initial Partner Visa grants entry for 33 months which can be extended for another 30 months. After you have been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (also known as ILR, or permanent residence).

  • Once approved, you will typically be given permission to enter and remain in the UK for up to 2.5 years.
  • After 2.5 years you will be able to submit further applications to extend your visa, which would be valid for 2 years.
  • After 5 years in the UK in the family visa category, you may be granted permission to remain in the UK permanently.
  • After 1 year of Indefinite Leave to Remain you can then apply for British Citizenship.


Any dependent children under the age of 18 may be added to your application to join you in the UK as your dependent.

  • You must demonstrate that you have enough funds to support your dependents in addition to the money you must have to support yourself.
  • The dependents will receive the same period of leave as the main applicant and will be able to work.

How long it will take

  • If you are applying from outside the UK, you should make an application for a Partner Visa no more than 3 months before you plan to be in the country.
  • For applications made within the UK, you should make an application for a Partner Visa no more than 3 months before your current visa expires.


There are many requirements to be met to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration. The Immigration Rules contain strict requirements in terms of the evidentiary documents that must be provided.

Woodcock Law is well placed and highly experienced in providing advice and assistance on making a Partner Visa application. We appreciate that many of the requirements may seem overly complex and onerous, but we can assist you in your application.

We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7712 1590 for our expert advice on such an application before any action is taken.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. While Woodcock Law Limited makes every effort to keep this information current, prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on