All Blog Videos Webinars
26 October 2022

What to do if you lose your BRP card

If you lose your BRP card, you need to follow these steps as soon as possible.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
What to do if you lose your BRP card

A biometric residence permit (BRP) can be used to confirm your identity as an immigrant in the UK. It can also be used to confirm your right to any public services or benefits you are entitled to.

You will usually get a BRP if you apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months or apply for settlement.

Lost BRP card

If your biometric residence permit (BRP) has been lost or stolen you need to report it as soon as possible. 

If your lost or stolen BRP was valid for three months or more, you are able to apply for a replacement. You must do this within three months of losing it.

Please note: you can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK if you fail to do this.

If your BRP was valid for three months or less, you must do one of the following:

  • report it as lost or stolen (if you do not intend to remain in the UK after its expiry date) 
  • apply for a replacement (if you plan to leave and re-enter the UK within three months of its expiry date) 
  • apply to extend your visa if you want to stay in the UK after its expiry date.

If you are outside the UK when you lose your card

If you are outside the UK when your card is lost or stolen, you need to go back to the UK, as applications can only be made from inside the country. To do this, you need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which costs £154 and lets you re-enter the UK once only. Once back in the UK, you can apply for a replacement BRP.

If you are outside the UK when you lose your card, it is often recommended that you get someone to report your missing card for you. This could be a legal representative, employer, or university. This speeds up the process of getting a new card.

Prove your immigration status after losing your card

While you wait for a new card to replace your lost BRP card, there are other ways to prove your immigration status. If, for example, you need to prove your status to use the NHS, you can tell the NHS service you are dealing with that your BRP has been lost. They will then contact the Home Office to confirm your status and allow you to receive treatment.

Contact us for our expert advice

Woodcock Law & Notary Public is highly experienced in assisting with a lost BRP card.

Contact us if you need any assistance on 020 7712 1705 or email

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.