All Blog Videos Webinars
23 April 2024

A guide to the new eVisa UK in 2024

Changes to UK immigration rules are resulting in a lot of services being digitalised, including people’s immigration status records. Find out more about these changes in our guide.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Over the last few years, the eVisa has been introduced to more and more aspects of the immigration rules, replacing physical documents with electronic ones. The EU Settlement Scheme for example, has been using them for successful applicants for a while now. 

The eVisa is now being expanded to replace Biometric Residence Permits (BRP), and any remaining Biometric Residence Cards (BRC). Once your BRP expires on 31 December 2024, you will have to access all of your immigration information online.

Read on to find out more about how the eVisa functions, and how you can get one.

What does an eVisa UK do?

Essentially, the eVisa UK is an online record of your immigration status, and any other immigration information related to your permission to stay in the UK. 

It will allow people to enter the UK without having a physical document, aside from their passport. All of their information will be linked to their passport. This is done by registering your passport to your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account, which we will discuss in more detail in the next section.

How do I get an eVisa?

To be able to get an eVisa, you will first need to have a UKVI account. You will have made a UKVI account whilst applying for your visa or other immigration status online. 

It is likely that you will have received an email about making an account. For example, if you currently hold a BRP card, they should have emailed you in April 2024 about making an account. 

However, if you have Indefinite Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Enter, and you prove your status and rights using a document that is not a BRP card like a vignette or wet-ink stamp, then you can make a No Time Limit (NTL) application. This will result in you being issued with a BRP if your application is successful. Once you have been given your BRP, you can then create a UKVI account. 

There is a Government webpage dedicated to creating a UKVI account to get access to an eVisa. Before you use this service, you will need to make sure that you have:

  • Your BRP card
  • An email address
  • A phone number
  • Access to a smartphone

Also, when you use this service, you will be asked to use the UK Immigration ID Check app to confirm your identity. You can
find out more about the app on the UK Government’s website, which has a useful resource on how it works.

How to use your UKVI account

If you already have a UKVI account, then you are likely aware of how important it is to keep your personal details up to date. This makes it easier for the UKVI to get in touch with you if necessary, so you are always updated on any changes or other communications. For example, if you get a new phone number, a new email address, or move to a new address.

One important detail you should always ensure is kept up to date is information related to your passport or ID card. As soon as anything changes regarding the details of either one, you should update the information on your UKVI account. 

Your UKVI account will also show your current eVisa’s details, with it showing your type of permission to be in the UK, the conditions of your visa, and when it expires. 

If you need to show your immigration status to anyone, such as your employer, landlord, or anyone else who needs to check your status, then you can generate a share code using your UKVI account. The code allows them to see your status, but it is time limited, so as to ensure that only you have complete access to your own details. Also, you will be given a new code each time you need to share your details; there will not be one set code tied to your account.

How we can help

At our firm, we have a team of experienced legal professionals who are knowledgeable of the UK immigration system. 

If you need guidance on accessing your eVisa, or want assistance with applying for a type of visa or other immigration status like Indefinite Leave to Remain, then we can help.

To use our services, you will first need to book an initial, free assessment that lasts 10 minutes. Once our team determines if they can help you or not, you can get a longer, paid consultation that lasts either 30 minutes or an hour. A 30-minute consultation is best if you just want some advice, and do not need a large amount of guidance. 

The team member you first talk to will be there to answer any questions you may have once your case has been taken on. They are happy to help. 

Get in touch with us today if you need visa assistance.

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.