All Blog Videos Webinars
11 July 2024

Study in the UK: our visa services

Applying for a visa to move to a new country can be a stressful experience. That is why we are here to help.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
UK visa services for international students who want to study in the UK

Many students come to study in the UK every year. With the large choice of universities offering different degrees, and with some institutions being considered amongst the best in the world, it is no surprise that the UK is a popular destination for international students.

2022 was the most popular year for international students coming to the UK, with 484,000 Student Visas being issued. The number has since dropped, but only slightly, with there being 446,924 issued from March 2023 to March 2024. 

Many of these students even continue to stay in the UK after their studies have finished and go on to join the workforce. 

If you want to join these students and experience life in the UK whilst studying for a higher education qualification, then you should know all about our visa services for those who want to study in the UK.

What study visas can we help you with?

We have already mentioned the Student Visa, which is the most popular visa route to study in the UK. Nearly any higher education course can be studied for on a Student Visa, whether it be a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or a PhD. It lasts either two or five years, depending on your course.

However, the Student Visa is not the only study visa you can choose from.

Child Student Visa

There is the Child Student Visa, which is for international students between the ages of 4 and 17. It allows them to study at independent schools and academics in the UK with parental consent. Under-16s can stay for up to six years, with an extra four months if necessary; meanwhile, 16 to 17 year olds can stay for three years, with an extra four months after. 

Short-term Study Visa

Then, there is the Short-term Study Visa, which is the only visa that lets you study for less than a year. This visa is only for studying the English language for 6 to 11 months, plus an extra 30 days. You cannot study anything else whilst on this visa.

Visitor Visa

Whilst it is not the most popular option for studying, if you are coming to the UK to undertake a course that lasts for less than six months, then you can apply for a Visitor Visa. You will need to provide proof that you are coming to the UK for the express reason of completing a short course or training, and that you intend to leave after.

The Visitor Visa has the highest application rate, but also has a high rejection rate for applications, so you need to make sure you have everything in order for your application. 

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

Finally, there is the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa. Unlike the others, this visa is not solely for studying in the UK; you can also work, or even set-up your own company. However, it also allows you to study whilst in the UK. 

Please note that you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from an approved Student Sponsor Licence holder before you can apply for a study visa, except the Youth Mobility Scheme.

What documents will I need to study in the UK?

Whilst there are some small differences between the visas for the documents that you will require, there are some general ones that you will always need to provide. Talk to our law team if you are unsure about any of the documents.

The general documents you will need to study in the UK are:

  • Passport
  • Proof of English ability 
  • Evidence you have funds to support yourself
  • Translations of any documents not in English or Welsh

Other documents you require will depend on the visa and your situation. Some examples are:

  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme Certificate for courses related to military weapon development
  • Parental travel consent letter for Child student Visa applications 
  • Tuberculosis test results if you are from a country required to provide them
  • Financial sponsor’s information if they are covering your course fees and living costs

You should check the individual requirements of your visa before you apply, or ask for the assistance of our legal professionals.

Not only can our law team provide you with expert guidance, they can assist you with managing your visa application directly if you want to study in the UK.

How much does a visa cost?

When you apply for your visa to study in the UK, you will have to pay a few different fees depending on which route you are entering the country on. If you have any questions about the fees you will have to pay, then our law team can help you understand what you need to pay.

Some of the costs you will need to pay:

  • Visa application fees
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) 

Visa application fees

The visa application fee is self explanatory. The fees for each of the visas we have mentioned are:

  • Child Student Visa – £490
  • Short-term Study Visa – £200
  • Student Visa – £490
  • Youth Mobility Scheme Visa – £298

Immigration Health Surcharge

The IHS fee is a requirement for any visa that lasts longer than six months. It must be paid if you want to access NHS services if you have a medical issue whilst you are in the UK.

All types of study visas, and the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, will have to pay £776 per year.

What are my options after I have finished my studies?

Aside from going to your home country, you have a couple of options if you want to stay in the UK. We can assist you with applying for one of these visas after you have finished your course.

Graduate Visa

There is the Graduate Visa, which has also been known as a Post Study Work Visa. It lasts two years and you can only apply if you have successfully completed your course. This visa gives you time to find a job in a high-skill field in the UK.

Skilled Worker Visa

Also, you can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa. You can only switch to this visa once your studies have finished, or if your start date has been set to be after your studies have finished. This will send you directly into the UK workforce.

How we can help

Not only can our law team provide you with expert guidance, they can assist you with managing your visa application directly if you want to study in the UK.

You have a number of options when it comes to contacting our law team, such as via phone call, email, our website chatbot, or by arranging a free 10-minute assessment. The assessment is a useful way of discussing your issue with a team member, and allows us to see if our Principal Solicitor, Nathan Woodcock, can help you or not.

After your initial interaction with us, you can book a longer, paid consultation during which you will be given legal advice and guidance, and also plan your steps going forward. The longer consultation can last either 30 minutes, or an hour.

Alternatively, if you just want a few questions answered instead of getting our assistance with your visa application, then you have the option of our quicker and cheaper, 15 minute consultation. It is not as good as the longer consultations for more in depth discussions, but it is useful to ask our legal team any complex study visa questions you may have.

Learn about our fees and what to expect in your consultation on our helpful webpages. Additionally, you can read our Client Success Stories and reviews to help you decide whether you want to use our services or not.

Get in touch with us today if you want to study in the UK, and need our services.

Ready for assistance?

If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment with one of our legal experts, contact Woodcock Law today. Call us on +44 (0)20 7712 1705 or email

Are you looking for notarial services?

We assist both individuals and businesses with a range of notarial services. For more information about how we might be able to help, head over to our dedicated notary site.